Thursday, August 10, 2006

late response

A few weeks ago, a reader replied to a posting of mine about the pleasures of Chicago beach life by saying: "If you don't like it here, why don't you go back to Russia".

At the time, I took it to be a random provocation and lapse of self-control from one of the outraged thousands who regularly visit this blog, and I summarily deleted the response. I am delighted to engage in debate, but this interlocutor did seem to hold much promise for lively discourse. In retrospect, however, it is possible that yet another reader has confused me with the original George Borrow (1803-1881) who was, as everyone knows, an ardent Russophile.

I should make it clear that while I am a big fan of the other George Borrow, and my original intention was for this blog to contain the meanderings, musings, and interesting encounters that fill Lavengro and Romany Rye, it has turned out that this blog has almost nothing to do with the original George Borrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home